“In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away” – Shing Xiong

Friday, October 10, 2014

Service Dog

Not the four legged one,, me. I realized in acupuncture last evening that I am a service dog, funny for so many reasons. For one, I was a dog for at least a week in second grade, I barked and everything. But really, I have been miserable since the meditation retreat missing something and not sure what it was, it was nursing!
As a nurse I got to help people all the time. I was musing during acupuncture treatment and felt I had my arm around the bony shoulders of a little old lady, then I recalled that people resemble their dogs and I have a border collie, a working dog, a service dog, and a dog without a job is an unhappy dog.

I am in school to learn how to better help people because I did not feel the medical profession was helping people and believe acupuncture can do what allopathy does not. So I have missed being a nurse, seeing people in extremis every day and being there to help them, to be of service, to offer care. I was afraid the ordained life was not for me, that I was suffering because I was not happy being a nunk, but clarity percolated thru all the layers and revealed that no, ordination remains the best means to being a better care giver, a better nurse and a better human being. Why? the Buddha sought to be of service, the best service, to bring the real relief of suffering to all beings, way to go Buddha, that is empowerment.

No comments:

Post a Comment