“In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away” – Shing Xiong

Monday, March 14, 2016

This evenings walk...

the dog listened politely as I let loose a few minutes of thought. I recently gave a presentation on what Buddhism might offer to those in recovery for a class in Oriental Medicine and Chemical Dependency. I had a great time making the presentation. The Dharma is such a pleasure. Two of the points I made were that the three poisons have three antidotes and the five hindrances have specific fixes as well as a general corrective action/tool. Tonight I reflected on the subtexts of the three antidotes - especially Generosity. 

Generosity is best understood as not merely giving but forgiving. Letting go of expectation, giving without the expectation of return, letting go of judgement, letting go of comparing, recognizing and letting go of attachment to desires. 

Generosity without wisdom is not entirely beneficial. Giving within the discernment of true happiness vs mundane happiness is beneficial. This discernment/wisdom is cultivated in meditation. Oh what a practice that enables the focus on what brings the greatest most lasting pleasure in life.

For all the world I am so glad to be right here right now. I disrobed, returned the robes but the precepts/guidelines are there for the promotion of the practice, to further the practice, to make the practice more efficient and effective and I have not stopped adhering to those, those as I interpret them, as I believe the fully self awakened one intended them. When you know what you don't want you know what you do want, as Abraham Hicks says.

No comments:

Post a Comment