“In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away” – Shing Xiong

Friday, August 22, 2014

Monasticism

I am consistently and repeatedly asked where is my temple, and I reply "right here." Most people seem to have the mistaken belief that ordained persons have to live in a monastery. In fact the early followers of the Buddha only gathered during the rainy season to avoid causing erosion or being a burden upon laity. So I have heard anyway.

Last night I told a fellow student that the concept of monasticism where the ordained dwell together for their lifetime apart from the world is a Catholic Xtian practice, not Buddhist.  I know that there are Buddhists who have practiced this way for centuries, after all we are to adapt to the culture we live in, to the time and place we live in. But originally that was not the idea and those who choose to live and practice according to their interpretation of the Dhamma should not suffer judgement or reprisals for that.

I also told him that when we commit to this practice we are each responsible for ourselves, that we are following the teachings of the Buddha in order to be really amazingly awesomely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment